According to studies, approximately 25% of adults are affected by varicose veins. These swollen veins, that are purple or blue in color, can be the result of prolonged standing, pregnancy, hormonal imbalance, excessive weight, nutritional deficiencies, or genetic factors. It’s important to address even the slightest symptoms of varicose veins before they are accompanied by pain, heaviness, and itching. Some of the ingredients that can be easily found right in your kitchen can become great remedies for strengthening the walls of the blood vessels and improving blood circulation.
We at Bright Side present 8 simple, yet effective methods to treat and prevent the progression of varicose veins. And don’t miss our bonus at the end of this article.
8. Apple cider vinegar
Thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties, apple cider vinegar is an excellent treatment for spider veins. It helps to bring down the swelling and improves blood flow.
- Dip a cotton ball or a piece of cloth in apple cider vinegar diluted with an equal amount of water.
- Place it over the affected veins and leave it for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with water.
- Repeat the procedure twice a day.
You can also apply cider vinegar on your skin and gently massage the area. Do this every day before going to bed and again the next morning until you see positive results. Just avoid applying too much pressure while massaging the areas.
7. Garlic, orange juice, and olive oil
Garlic contains a compound called allicin which helps to prevent blood vessels from becoming inflamed. It is also used to remove harmful toxins from your body and improve your overall health condition. Garlic works wonders in combination with orange juice and olive oil.
- Crush 6 garlic cloves and mix them with the freshly squeezed juice from 3 oranges.
- Add 2 tbsp of olive oil to the solution.
- Let it sit for about 12 hours before you use it.
- Apply the mixture on your veins for about 15 minutes in circular motions until it is fully absorbed into your skin.
- Repeat this on a daily basis.
You can also wrap the area with a cloth and leave it for 15 minutes to reduce the size of veins.
It is also recommended to regularly include garlic in your diet.
This is one of the most beneficial natural products for treating varicose veins. Parsley is packed with vitamin C and rutin which help to restore and strengthen the capillaries, thus, reducing the pain and discomfort caused by varicose veins.
- Chop a handful of parsley and put it in a cup of water.
- Boil for 5 to 7 minutes and allow it to cool.
- Add a little essential oil to it.
- Dip a cotton ball in it and apply it over the affected areas.
- Do this twice a day until you no longer see those blue and red lines on your legs.
Try to make it a habit to add parsley to your meal to boost your immune system.
5. Witch hazel
Witch hazel can be one of the best alternatives for treating various skin disorders, including swollen veins. It contains tannins and volatile oils that help to restore the structure of veins.
- Take a piece of cloth or a cotton ball and soak it in witch hazel.
- Place it on the affected area for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Repeat this 2 or 3 times a day for a month until you notice positive results.
Cabbage leaves are a wonderful source for vitamins, fiber, magnesium, calcium, and potassium that are greatly beneficial for your health. These highly nutritious components can also reduce the swelling of veins.
- Chop cabbage leaves and blend them in a blender.
- Add some water to make a fine paste.
- Apply the paste to swollen areas.
- Cover those parts with a cotton cloth and leave them for 2 hours.
- Wash them off with water.
- Repeat the process for one month.
Ginger is another amazing agent for treating spider veins. Due to its antioxidant nature, it helps to minimize the risk of the appearance of varicose veins. Ginger also dissolves blood protein called fibrin and improves circulation. Drinking ginger tea on a frequent basis can significantly contribute to the quick recovery of your veins.
- Cut fresh ginger into pieces.
- Add them to a glass of boiling water.
- Let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain the water and add some honey into it.
- Enjoy your tea 2-3 times a day.
2. Olive oil and vitamin E
The combined use of these ingredients will provide relief from feelings of heaviness and will make your skin soft and elastic.
- Mix equal proportions of olive oil and vitamin E.
- Slightly warm the mixture on low heat.
- Apply it over the skin and massage for a few minutes in an upward motion.
- Repeat this once or twice a day for about 2 months.
Alternatively, you can mix 2 tsp of olive oil with 4-5 drops of cypress oil. Stir it well and massage your legs with it. You will see results in one to 2 weeks.
1. Aloe Vera, carrot, and apple cider vinegar
Aloe Vera is known for its rich nutritional properties and anti-inflammatory qualities. The mixture of Aloe Vera, carrot, and apple cider vinegar is probably one of the most efficient natural homemade remedies to shrink swollen veins and relieve pain. You’ll need 3 Aloe Vera leaves, a carrot, and 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar.
- To start with, extract the gel from the Aloe Vera leaves.
- Pass the carrot through a blender or food processor and mix it with Aloe Vera gel.
- Add half a cup of apple cider vinegar to make a smooth, homogenous paste.
- Apply the paste over veiny areas, leave it on for 30 minutes, and wash off.
It’s also advised to apply it before going to bed and leave it overnight to get the desired effect.
Rinse it off with cold water the next morning.
Though the above mentioned remedies can significantly reduce the appearance of varicose or spider veins, it’s also recommended to make a few lifestyle and dietary changes for a long-term effect:
- Make regular physical activities, such as swimming, walking, or yoga part of your routine. The more you move, the better your blood circulates, thus, preventing blood from accumulating in damaged veins.
- Try to consume food rich in vitamins C and E which act as antioxidants and immune system boosters.
- Use compression stockings which keep your veins in the right position and reduce the pressure in your veins.
- Avoid wearing tight-fitting clothing and high heels for too long.
Which of these tips are you going to try out? Do you know any other effective ways to deal with varicose veins? Please share them with us in the comments!